Thursday, November 18, 2010

The One Where We Spend $721.15

So. The plumbers came today. And despite the fact that we rescheduled with them so they could come fix our problems on Monday and not go into overtime, they didn't actually do any work on Monday. Instead, they scheduled an appointment for today. But they charged us a transportation fee for coming to check it out. We're 10 minutes away from their home base. TEN minutes. They charge almost as much for driving here as they do per hour. $1/minute = $60/hour. We spent $120/hour for two people to work, so I guess it absolutely is the same. I think I'm in the wrong field... not that I'd like being a plumber, but still...

To add insult to injury all I can say is that the home inspector for this house must have been hallucinating. Really. Standing water in the basement? Rotten, rusty cast iron waste pipes? They very nearly crumbled in the plumbers' hands when they went to remove them. How, oh, how did the inspector not notice those things?

So I'm going to think about the new coverlet/quilt/bed spread we're getting next week. I need to preface this by saying that I am not a Kohl's girl. Not sure why... I've been in there. I've seen some cute stuff from time to time, but it's got a little of the TJ Maxx feel to me. I know cute things are there, but I'm not sure I'm into looking through racks and racks of mediocre things to find a few cute things. Anyhow, we've been looking for new bedding for ages and ages and ages. Just when we thought we'd found something we liked, my grandmother offered us a fabulous shaggy greenish-yellowish rug. I'm a sucker for a freebie, so we're going to try to make it work... That meant the buttery yellow that we had picked out has gone by the wayside. We've had to shift to a different and as yet undecided shade of yellow to go with the grayish, silvery color that Todd wants. Anyhow, after looking at the usuals (West Elm, Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, CB, CB2, LaylaGrace, Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Target, DWR, etc.), I'd just about given up hope until I saw BrooklynLimestone reference her 4th bedding set. It made me feel better, but it also made me check the comments to see if anyone had suggested alternatives. Someone suggested some godawful number at Kohl's, but it got me looking... and I think I've finally found something to satisfy Todd's architectural aesthetic while having a little pseudosophistication for me. I tried to do a print screen and paste the picture here, but it ain't happening. If you (translation: If *I* whilst rereading this years from now) want to check it out, here's the link. Scroll down to the platinum coverlet. I'm optimistic that it'll work. And if it doesn't? Well, I guess I'll just wait until we've saved up another $721.15 to buy the super fancy duvets I covet on LaylaGrace... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment